Daniel Kravitz, Chosen One is a segment in It's All Been Done Radio Hour. It was the last of the original five segments conceived and written for the show by Jerome Wetzel, and frequently appears third in a four-segment program. It is similar to the television program Buffy the Vampire Slayer in that the title character has been granted superhuman powers and tapped to save the world, guided by a mysterious group of old men. But the characters are situations are very different from that classic series.
Daniel is an unhappy antique store owner in the town of Brightside whose parents are dead. Having inherited their antique shop, he works with his sole employee and friend, Abby Reynolds. He hates his life.
Then, one day Rufus Reginald Rochester shows up and tells Daniel that he is the Chosen One, meant to defend the world from the supernatural. Rufus is a member of a group called the U.L.P. tasked with overseeing the Chosen Ones, and Daniel is Rufus' fourth such assignment. Daniel likes this mission even less. However, faced with monsters attacking his shop and his town, and fearing for Abby's life, Daniel reluctantly agrees to train with Rufus.
Despite being antisocial and not getting along well with others, Daniel soon forms a group around him. Besides Abby and Rufus these include: Grezit the Green, a monster Daniel beheads and holds captive until Grezit begrudgingly comes to respect him; Ragina, Rufus' estranged niece and a love interest for Daniel; Josh Wallace, a sorcerer who first attacks the group, then seeks to aid it; and Alexis Augustus Armentrout, Rufus' replacement from the U.L.P. when Rufus goes missing.
Behind most of the attacks is a shadowy creature known as the Ultimate Evil. Some claim it is not evil at all, and its given name is Kali. But it is always referred to as an it, never he or she. Ragina, Rufus' niece, is one of Kali's servants.
The theme song was composed and is performed by Nathan Haley, with lyrics by Jerome Wetzel.
Main article: list of Daniel Kravitz, Chosen One characters
- Daniel Kravitz played by Nathan Haley. Daniel is an unhappy antique store owner tasked with stopping the Ultimate Evil and saving the world. He has only one friend when the series begins, and new ones are made more because they stick around rather than Daniel taking a liking to them. Daniel is the reluctant hero, but at the end of the day, he does step up and do the job.
- Abby Reynolds played by Wendy Parks. Abby Reynolds loves antiques, and loves Daniel even more. That's why she puts up with his bad attitude and works for him. She is the first to embrace Daniel's new role, always wanting Daniel to live up to his potential. She's also not content to just be a damsel that must be saved, although she often feels that way, being the only one in the group without a skill or power directly related to fighting monsters.
- Rufus Reginald Rochester played by Shane Stefanchik. Rufus is loyal, hard-working, and dedicated to the Chosen One's mission. He's also naive, taking people at face value, often to his detriment. He doesn't have much of a personal life, but when the opportunity arises for such, he keeps it close to his vest. He loves his niece and would like nothing more than to save her, believing he can convince her she's been manipulated.
- Grezit the Green played by Ryan Yohe. Grezit is a fierce Gahroo monster with many claws, ears, chests, and sharp, sharp teeth. He can survive beheading. He used to operate only with his beloved mate, Felchy, and mace, Mr. Smashy. But after seeing Daniel's team, he decided to stay and be a part of something greater. He loves Abby Reynolds and ice-cream, and is prone to long, meandering speeches about what he will do to his enemies.
- Alexis Augustus Armentrout played by Joe Morales (season two to present). Alexis was sent by the U.L.P. to replace Rufus when Rufus went missing. Very by-the-book, Alexis prefers rules to combat, avoiding physical confrontation. His arrogance leads him to believe he is always right, though he can miss the obvious. He immediately rubs everyone on the team the wrong way, though Rufus vouches for him.
- Ragina played by Amanda Iman (main season one, recurring season two to present). Ragina is Rufus' niece and the only family he has left. Feeling abandoned by her uncle's duties, Ragina fell in with Kali, the Ultimate Evil, and became a powerful sorceress in her own right. She has no qualms manipulating anyone to get what she wants, and believes her mission is righteous. She claims to love her 'misguided' uncle, but it's unknown if she is sincere.
- Josh Wallace (guest seasons one and three, main season two) played by Seamus Talty. Josh first appeared when, infatuated with Abby, he cast a spell to make her think she was the Chosen One and he was her best friend. He came clean and reversed the spell, then stuck around until he could find opportunity to help the group and prove he wasn't bad. Josh apparently died when the U.L.P. attacked Kravitz Antiques, but was saved by them.
Major Recurring Characters
- Nan played by Samantha Stark. Nan owns a furniture store down the street from Kravitz Antiques. She is a quiet, traditional girl who likes tea and who, unbeknownst to the team, dated Rufus. She was startled to come face to face with Grezit the Green. Rufus soon after left town for an extended period of time, and it is unknown if the two will continue their relationship.
Main article: list of Daniel Kravitz, Chosen One episodes.
Daniel Kravitz, Chosen One is very serial, and the story unfolds in 13-episode volumes.
Volume 1 ran from August 2015 through October 2016 and chronicled Daniel becoming the Chosen One, his relationship with Ragina, and the Ultimate Evil's early attempts to influence Daniel into helping shut down the U.L.P.
Volume 2 ran from December 2016 through July 2018, and continued some arcs while introducing several new players. Rufus left the group to find his niece, who fled after her Volume 1 showdown, and was replaced by Alexis. Abby also left to look for Rufus, a decision she did not consult Daniel on, which led to the dissolution of their coupling before it had barely begun. Josh, who had helped out the group in Volume 1, joined more permanently. The antagonists of Volume 2 were the U.L.P. themselves, who had become corrupted. Ragina returned (not long after Rufus and Abby did) to help the group stop Rufus and Alexis' bosses.
Volume 3 will premiere in 2019.